Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Beginning of Week 1- Traveling

When not sure where to begin on telling my journey I figure starting at the beginning is the best option. I started in my hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan where the parting was very bittersweet. My mother, sister, brother-in-law, and boyfriend were all there to wish me off. My biggest fear for this trip was that I would get homesick and feel like I am missing out on everything there, but as soon as I got through security the pterodactyls in my stomach (much too big to be butterflies) vanished. My excitement for an inevitable adventure took over, and I only shed a few tears as I left Michigan behind. After a quick puddle jump to Chicago (only a 25 minute flight!) I was on my way out of the United States of America for the first time in my life.
 

I am pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when I saw the size and luxury of the plane that would take me across the ocean to London. I was provided with blankets and pillows (it was an overnight flight) as well as my own personal television that had movies available to watch that were not even on DVD yet! Once we landed down in London I got my first taste of what it is like being a foreigner. The first instance was getting on the bus that would take me to my connection terminal. I had a moment of panic when the bus 
turned as a car was coming towards us into the wrong lane, but realized they drove in the left lane usually. Another time was in the bathroom trying to figure out the hand dryers. They seemed to be ones that were supposed to blow air, but nothing was coming out no matter how wildly I flung my hands underneath it. I have yet to start one, but if I never figure it out that is okay too. I am expecting to make mistakes and look like a buffoon at times, but I know to just take each day as it comes and to treasure my time here.



Stepping into the main hub of the airport felt like stepping into a shopping mall. It was a two-floored building with every kind of store and restaurant you could think of. I am currently sitting in the middle of this hub as I type this, and will make sure to explore while I have the chance to do so. After a seven-hour layover I will be flying to my final destination Shannon, Ireland. I should be arriving at the University of Limerick around 11 pm tonight (23:00 hours). I am not as nervous as I was before I stepped on the first airplane. I am mainly excited to find out where this adventure will take me and what I will learn from the people of Ireland.

Heathrow London airport (pics to the left)